Stuffed cabbage rolls are great for cozy evenings at home. I stuffed these with vegan mince, but you may use any filling of your choice! I think lentils or red speckled beans would also make great fillings. Making them involves a couple of steps but don’t let this put you off! Each step is relatively easy and the end result is quite rewarding.
A full cabbage – although, you do not use all of it
1 clove of fresh garlic
About 5 spoons of raw coconut oil
300g of vegan mince
100g of sliced button mushrooms
½ tsp of ground coriander
½ tsp of cumin
½ tsp of pink salt
½ tsp of turmeric
1 ½ tsp of British mixed spice
Half a cup of water
Traditional tomato gravy
Parsley to garnish
- Heat three spoons of raw coconut oil in a large pan and saute one onion along with a clove of garlic.
- Add sliced mushrooms and let the pot simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegan mince along with all the spices (Note: you are free to use any spices of your choice. For this dish I used pink salt, coriander, cumin, British mixed spice and turmeric).
- Add 2 additional spoons of coconut oil and 1/2 a cup of water.
- Leave the dish to simmer for about 15 minutes.
The Cabbage Rolls
- Plunge the full cabbage in boiling water for about 3 seconds to soften the outer leaves.
- Remove the cabbage from the boiling water and put it cold water for about 2 seconds.
- Then slowly peel off the outer layers.
- Cut the ribs of the leaves.
- Depending on how large your cabbage leaves are, stuff 2-3 spoons of the mince into the cabbage and fold the cabbage as you would a wrap.
Once the rolls are done, pour a traditional gravy sauce into a casserole pan and carefully place the cabbage rolls on the sauce. Bake for about 30 minutes and enjoy!
Note: You may make the traditional gravy sauce from scratch or buy a ready made sauce.